Free Running App for iOS iPhone - MapMyRun and RunKeeper

Recently I downloaded the two popular running GPS apps for my iPhone - MapMyRun (MMR) and RunKeeper (RK). I put to test these two apps by a 3mile run. Both app worked as expected and showed very similar results. I used the free version of both the apps. The tests were performed by out of the box default settings.

MapMyRun Vs RunKeeper

MapMyRun (MMR) app requires a sign-up to use. You can use your facebook account or follow a simple signup using an email address. It doesn't ask a lot of information for the sign-up. I liked that. Once you are registered you are good to go. Runkeeper (RK) don't need any sign-ups to use.

MMR app alerts you as you cover each mile with a  voice of how you are performing. I liked this feature compared to RK where the latter gave voice alerts based on time and not distance. This is a personal preference rather than a drawback.
To calculate the calories burned, you need to input the height and weight for MMR app. RK did calculate the calories without any of these information. It took the default 5' 7"  as height. You have the option to change the settings. This makes me feel MMR is more accurate. 

Both the apps showed the gps route with total distance, duration, elevation, pace average as well as pace splits for each mile. Both the apps show charts of pace and elevation. I personally liked the horizontal bar display of splits from MMR.

Both the apps are easy to use and shows the basic data. Both the apps have option to post the results to Twitter or Facebook. You can set goals in RK. MMR could also record your food and nutrition information. The app allows you to connect to MyFitnessPal account. You can also add Twitter, Facebook or friends from contacts/address book  to MMR. Once you sign up in RK, you can add friends from Facebook.  

One disadvantage that I noticed with both the apps are the battery drainage. If you keep the location services on for these apps, your iPhone will need constant recharge. I turn on the location service only when I about to run. 
 
Verdict:  I tested both the apps against buying a GPS Running watch particularly - Garmin Forerunner. I am happy about the results from these apps rather than spending 200 bucks. I would rate both the app 4 stars for the free edition and the information the app gathers and displays.

Some of my friends use Runtastic. I will try out that app soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment